Sunday, June 7, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Let's just say for starters I am not a big city sort of girl. And you know, Houston is BIG. Still, we, D, my brother, his wife and I, had a phenomenal time this weekend. The highlight was of course seeing Glenn Beck. I was like in the 12th row people. I totally could have thrown my panties at him...I mean not my panties, but like a really hot pair size extra small that I picked up at Victoria's Secret for the occasion.


We arrived in Houston at 3:30ish which, it turns out, is like rush hour downtown. Who knew? {Probably Houstonians.} D's brother gave him a TomTom-since he bought a new one-so we had fun with her. Oh and I should mention, my brother is a bonafide comedian. If he were one to be the center of attention, he would totally have a career as a stand up comic. I laughed so hard this whole weekend!


Finally we arrived at The Magnolia. Click on the link and take some of the virtual tours. The lobby is divine... Anyway. We handed over D's truck to the valet (yes I said valet, it's that kind of hotel) and settled in. Then we decided to get to the venue (Verizon Wireless Theater). We called for the truck to be brought around. And headed out. Not really having any idea where we would park. {Guess what? I'm claustrophobic.} Guess where parking for the Verizon Theater was? Underground. In a tomb...three...stories...down. Gulp.

Seriously. Everybody was all joking and laughing and I was all 'breathing' and 'ringing in the ears'. I am still a little traumatized by that experience. You know the frightening part? When we were about ten cars in (down) in a curved tunnel where you can't see more than one car in front of you and then...you see another line of cars coming in from another tunnel and you are both headed in the same direction. How the beep do you people in the big city do it? I gave this nervous little chuckle that meant I am not ready to die in a cavern of cement. Finally, finally we were parking. I didn't realize (fortunately) that we were three stories down until we climbed the three flights of stairs to open sky (sweet freedom). But alas it was all worth it!

Beck gave a hilarious (albeit frightening) view of society today. I laughed and clapped and gave standing ovations. It was awesome! I can't wait to read his new book "Common Sense". The sad truth is that we are, I believe, slowing (and in some cases not so slowly) sliding toward socialism. I think that we are just handing over one freedom after another until one day we will look up and not be free at all. One of Beck's points, and a very valid one I think, is that we must not be afraid to speak the truth out of fear of being labeled or called names. Later when D and I were talking back at the hotel he said "I feel like I need to do something." I completely agreed with him. I now feel the need to be proactive in stopping the craziness of spending and social giveaways. For example, I agree with Beck that no you do not have the right to own a home. You have a right to work to earn money to save and buy a home. So be forewarned I will likely be posting more political views in the future.

After the show, we made our way to the parking garage (tunnel o death) and I (courageously) braved the tomb and walked back to the truck. We went back to the hotel and ordered room service. Nice. Although my brother, H, would argue that his indigestion at 3am was decidedly not nice.

Saturday morning we woke early and had the breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant and then we went up to the rooftop to take pictures of downtown. We even soaked our feet in the rooftop's postage stamp-sized pool. I laughed so much this weekend (even while panting and blacking out in the tunnel-o-death) that I could hardly catch my breath. I had a fabulous time with H and L. They are so much fun to hang out with. While waiting for our order (the second time--they screwed up the first) at Sonic back home, we even tentatively planned another roadtrip to Corpus. My only stipulation? Let's keep it at sea level--not below.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like such a fun weekend. And yes 3:30 is prime time for traffic hours (especially on Fridays) Now Im going to have to look up Glenn Beck and read up on him.

Southern Girl said...

Hey Mere, I have picked your blog for a blog award - go to my blog to check it out http://southerngirlflorals.blogspot.com/.

Lindsay said...

Hey Sis and D!
Thanks for the fun filled weekend, and laughing at my lame jokes!

Can't wait 'til we head to CC!!

No results found for "subpcor" at dictionary.com... that was my word verification to post this comment!! HAHA